Helping Families

Here are some of the many situations where Harvey Law Offices has been able to help families:

My husband has had a stroke.  We never got around to signing a health care proxy or power of attorney.  The doctors are asking me to authorize treatment.  What should I do?

When someone is incapacitated by illness or injury, he is no longer able to make or communicate his own medical or financial decisions. Click for more

Our grandson was born with cerebral palsy.  We want to provide for him in our Wills, but we don’t want to interfere with his ability to receive government benefits when he gets older.  What can we do?

You are wise to be concerned.  Many governmental benefits are based on income and assets, and someone who has more than a certain amount of money may not be eligible for benefits even though he is not able to support himself on his own. Click for more

My teenage daughter has Down Syndrome.  Her doctor told me that once she turns 18 I can’t make her health care decisions any more.  Is that true?

Once a child becomes 18, she is an adult in the eyes of the law.  If your daughter isn’t able to make some or all of her life decisions, you can ask a court to let you make them for her. Click for more

Our brother was in a car accident and suffered a traumatic brain injury.  In order to sue the person who hit him, we need to be named as his guardians.  Can you help us?

Absolutely.  Because your brother no longer has the capacity to make legal decisions, he cannot enter into contracts on his own.  Attorney Harvey often assists personal injury attorneys. Click for more

Our mother has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease.  We would like to keep her home with Dad for as long as possible, but we are not sure this is realistic.  Is there anything we can do now to try to protect their assets from the high cost of nursing home care in the future?

With very few exceptions, it is never too late to take some steps to protect and preserve assets, especially where both spouses are living and at least one is in fairly good health.  Harvey Law Offices has helped many families like yours to prepare for possible nursing home placement.  Click for more

My father-in-law passed away without a Will.  My husband’s brothers think they can divide his property among themselves without going through probate.  Can they?

Any asset that your father-in-law owned jointly with another person, such as a bank account that is “payable on death,” or that names a beneficiary, such as a life insurance policy or IRA, will be payable automatically to the person identified in the asset.  Any property he owned individually must go through the probate process.  Click for more

 My wife and I own everything jointly.  Why do we need a Will?

Because you own all your assets jointly with your wife, once you die, everything will automatically belong to her.  That sounds good, but it could cause problems depending on your circumstances.  Click for more