Our grandson was born with cerebral palsy. We want to provide for him in our Wills, but we don’t want to interfere with his ability to receive government benefits when he gets older. What can we do?

Our grandson was born with cerebral palsyYou are wise to be concerned.  Many governmental benefits are based on income and assets, and someone who has more than a certain amount of money may not be eligible for benefits even though he is not able to support himself on his own.  In a case like this, Harvey Law Offices can assist you and your family in setting up a Supplemental Needs Trust.  This type of trust, also called Special Needs Trust, is designed specifically to permit a disabled individual like your grandson to have funds set aside for his benefit while still qualifying for certain asset-based government benefits.